Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I'm Back!

So I'm finally back and all moved in to school. Yesterday consisted of a relaxed day of just unpacking and catching up with all my friends about breaks and listening to crazy stories. Today was a thrust into reality again with class at 9:15 (Gastronomy... bleh!). Turns out the next week will consist of a decent amount of homework because of the ridiculous group projects we have to do. After Gastro was lunch at K16 (for those who don't remember its the main production kitchen that has 5-6 options for lunch and dinner everyday). Since new students have 2 days of orientation just as I did 3 weeks ago, we don't have our 3-course banquet meals again until Thursday. For lunch I had Pasta Pomodoro with Fresh Mozzarella and Arugula. I enjoyed it but I really like arugula and its peppery taste and it paired well with the fresh cheese and light tomato sauce.

After lounging around some and completing some homework, I made my way to another lecture in the oh-so-stimulating topic of food safety. After wanting to rip out my eyeballs with my knives we had dinner. Dinner was also at K16 and was pretty good too, London Broil with Chimichurri Sauce and Mashed Potatoes. Chimichurri sauce is a favorite of mine that's made with oil, vinegar, parsley, garlic, usually jalapeno, onion and some salt and pepper sometimes food-processed together or just whisked together. In this case it was put through a food-processor and came out very nice. Most people bolted right away for Writing class but I stayed with a friend and relaxed and chatted.

After a brief tennis match to get the legs moving, I did a bit more homework and continued to watch a few episodes of some shows I'm catching up on (Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother) before going to hang in a friends room. That was the last stop of the night before hitting the books one more time before bed.

It feels great to be back and only 3 more weeks until I'm finally in a kitchen! Since there's a new crop of students starting, we are now not the lowly new kids who know nothing and that is pretty excellent.

Chef Werblin

ps. Live to eat, don't eat to live

No comments:

Post a Comment