Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bored at Home

Home 2 days and I'm already bored. Since its 2:30am and I'm not tired, what better thing to do then update this blog. Yesterday (Saturday) I had lunch with my mom and sister at El Meson. I'm assuming everyone can guess what type of cuisine we had. I had chicken tacos with tomatillo salsa, they were good but not anything stellar. After that I took a nice walk around the Farmer's Market that's close by. The produce was good in some areas and terrible in others but after obtaining roughly $20 worth including basic stuff like lemons, limes and shallots and also some more interesting things such as jicama, tuna (cactus apple) and bok choy, I returned home. Dinner was a production from myself in which I created Dry Rub London Broil with Jicama Slaw. The meat was easy and delicious and for the Jicama Slaw I julienned a whole jicama, some carrots and then diced red and green bell peppers and red onion before dressing this with a Honey-Ancho Chipotle Vinaigrette. All in all I'd call it a successful day.

Today (Sunday) was pretty boring (I slept until 11am). I woke up and went food shopping grabbing the usual assortment of snacks and drinks (As most people know that I consume more than the average daily amount of food, I also consume so much liquid). I picked up some stuff for today's dinner which I've made before and decided to take a crack at again, Chili-Rubbed Chicken with Honey-Lime Sauce and Fresh Salsa. The chicken got rubbed in chili powder and a quick sear in hot oil before finishing in the oven and the sauce was basic with some butter, chicken stock, lime juice, honey and salt and pepper. Fresh salsa is also pretty basic, tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, a bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper. It came out pretty damn good and I polished off about 1.75 pounds of chicken with my dad. Tonight I did nothing but tomorrow I will spend the day at the beach to get my tan back so I can look pretty when I go back to school. I also plan on traveling to any other Farmer's Markets I can find decently close to me so if you are near me and bored during the week you can come learn about produce with me while I practice my identifying skills.

If you want to try these recipes either comment or email me and I'll send em your way.

Chef Werblin

ps. "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first – Ernestine Ulmer"

1 comment:

  1. Local farmer's markets: Red Bank Galleria (Sundays) and Pier Village in LB (not sure what day).

    ReplyDelete