Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wednesday/Thursday

Yesterday was yet again a typical day. Product Knowledge in the morning where we started finally getting into produce identification. We did lettuces yesterday and after our quiz on Friday we'll move into Salad Greens and such. Lunch was pretty excellent, an appetizer of Salad with Bacon, Egg and a good dressing. The entree was amazing... Duck Leg with Mashed Potatoes and Fava Bean Stew. If you are going to eat duck... eat it this way. The duck was flavorful and fantastic with the potatoes. Finally dessert was Chocolate Mousse flavored with something we couldn't quite figure out that gave the mousse a lighter color and interesting flavor. After our math quiz at 4pm which took me 20 minutes (I got 100 no doubt) we hung around until dinner. For dinner I decided on Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Cheese, Avocado, Tomato on Country Bread with Fries which was good. The desserts at the dining hall are INSANE. They just bring out massive loads of crazy cakes and custards and line them up to take. Once I get a camera I'll make sure to make you all even more jealous. Last night was pretty relaxed just hangin out.

Today was another dreadful Gastronomy class. Let's not get into the details but basically my face was beet red and I wanted to put my fist through a wall because she makes me so angry. Either way, lunch was full at banquet so we went upstairs to the regular meals and ate at Cuisines of the Mediterranean where it was Italian day. I got Risotto with Sausage, Asparagus and Leeks and it was excellent. I also tried Ryan and Leah's dishes just to sample. Ryan had Osso Buco (braised veal shank) which if you haven't had is amazing and Leah had Potato Gnocchi with Duck Ragu which was also fantastic. We hung around until Food Safety at 4. If there is one thing I hate, it's being treated like a 5 year old in COLLEGE. These teachers with their ridiculous methods and baby-like voices to a bunch of 18-21 year olds is so frustrating. We're big boys and girls, we lost the Pampers a while back now and we can handle it. Hopefully after this block of classes it is different. Dinner was pretty boring and since nothing looked terribly good I just got a burger and fries then went back to my dorm for a nap while most other people went to writing class (I'm exempt!). When they were done with that we met at a dorm, relaxed and then took a trip to Applebees for Halfitizers (half price appetizers) which was delicious to say the least at 10:30pm.

One more day before the weekend which I can't wait for. Hopefully tomorrow's PK quiz is nice and easy.

Chef Werblin

ps. seriously... play Skip-B0
pps. I've been doing externship research (our externship is 18 weeks working at a approved place of your choice after your first 8 months here before you come back to finish) so if you have ideas feel free to shed some input. Right now I'm leaning towards Rick Bayless' restaurant in Chicago cause I love Rick Bayless

1 comment:

  1. Yes to Rick Bayless! I looked him up and his food sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete