Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Last Days Before Summer Break

Yesterday was a pretty fun day of class even though everyone knows Monday's are awful. In Product Knowledge we started our Cabbage group. Believe it or not this group includes everything from standard green cabbage to broccoli and brussel sprouts. After I became well rehearsed in all my cabbage vegetables, we had lunch. Lunch was pretty good. The appetizer wasn't really my thing but I did try it. It was a seafood salad that consisted of squid, scallops and shrimp in a light sauce. It tasted good but I don't love the texture of too many seafood items except scallops. The entree I enjoyed, Saltambocca (Veal pounded thin and wrapped in prosciutto) with potatoes. The veal was kind of overcooked but I'll assume that's because it was so thin. Finally dessert was simply Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Sauce. A little relaxing before math and then dinner which was pretty basic, just tacos from the production kitchen. We decided after that to play some tennis which is the new fad for us and we pay all the time.

Today started off my morning with the worst class of all time where we did some tasting to determine flavor as a different thing then taste. She must have known I hate that class because the tasting was all chocolate which helped ease my frustration. I left not as angry as usual and made my way down to lunch at banquet where we had a so-so meal. The appetizer was strange but delicious. Two types of pasta, Fettucine Puttanesca and Penne with Andouille Sausage, Kale and Cheese. Both excellent and I would've been more than happy to just eat those for lunch even though heavy pasta for an appetizer was quite strange (served family style). The entree was Grouper with Horseradish Potatoes and Broccoli Rabe. I don't really enjoy fish that isn't fried or grilled so I tasted it (tasted like nothing because it's so mild but I hate the texture of fish prepared that way) then ended my lunch. Dessert was disgusting (only to me) because it was White Chocolate Mousse and I absolutely despise white chocolate. I took a nap this afternoon cause I was very tired then we had Food Safety ( fell asleep in class) and finally made it to dinner. Today I decided to go to Cuisines of the Americas where the cuisine was Southwest so I enjoyed Pork in Red Chili Sauce with Corn Fritters and Refried Beans with Salsa. All of it was excellent and I ate a plate and a half because someone didn't finish before yet again returning to my dorm to nap and read. Again a bit more tennis and some basketball and that about wrapped up the day. Two more days until summer break and I can't wait.

Chef Werblin

ps. I'm getting better and better at tennis so be on the lookout for my Wimbledon debut sometime soon
pps. Now that we have our knife kits I'll be trying so many new things at home as recipes and since the blog won't be about school I'll make sure to update it with all those.

1 comment: